For the best sod installation in Apex, Cary, Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough, Morrisville and the West Raleigh area call Pleasant Green Grass. We have been providing professional sod installation services since 2006.
Sod InstallationWe till under the existing vegetation and soil with a roto-tiller, then we rake out the unwanted plant debris. Next we spread a thick layer of compost over the entire lawn area. Then we till that compost into the soil. This mixes the compost into the existing native soil adding literally tons of much needed organic matter. Then we smooth out the surface and lay the sod. Next we roll the sod to make sure there is good sod to soil contact. If you don’t have an irrigation system we will set up a temporary one for you with timers and multiple sprinkler heads so all you have to do it watch your new grow.
Lawn renovationWe till under the existing vegetation and soil with a roto-tiller, then we rake out the unwanted plant debris. Next we spread a thick layer of compost over the entire lawn area. Then we till that compost into the soil. This mixes the compost into the existing native soil adding literally tons of much needed organic matter. Then we smooth out the surface and spread seed. Next we cover the seed with a biodegradable matting to protect it. Lastly we roll the entire area with a sod roller. This presses the seed down into the soil. Good seed to soil contact is the secret to fast seed germination. The matting will help protect the seed from birds and washout from heavy rainfall. It will also help conserve moisture which helps with germination. . If you don’t have an irrigation system we will set up a temporary one for you with timers and multiple sprinkler heads so all you have to do it watch your new grass come up.
Sod vs. SeedThere are advantages to both sod and seed. Sod is fast. In as little as one day you can have a new lawn. Warm season turf, such as zoysia and Bermuda are best established by sod. Seeding is not as fast, but the grass is stronger when it comes up because it’s never been transplanted from one growing spot to the next. Seed is also a bit more economical. Some grass types such as shady fescue blends are not available in sod.
Benefits of TurfgrassNature’s Air Conditioner: Another benefit that everyone enjoys, usually without notice, is turfgrass’ tremendous cooling effect.
- On a hot summer day, lawns will be 30 degrees cooler than asphalt and 14 degrees cooler than bare soil.
- The front lawns of eight houses have the cooling effect of about 70 tons of air conditioning. That’s amazing when the average home has an air conditioner with just a three or four ton capacity.
- The cooling effect of irrigated turf reduces the amount of fuel that must be burned to provide the electricity which powers the air conditioners.
- Watered when the grass plant needs it, turfgrass will efficiently and effectively use almost every drop.
Soil Erosion: The clean gentle strength of turfgrass is the most cost-effective method for controlling wind and water erosion.
- A healthy sodded lawn absorbs rainfall six times more effectively than a wheat field and four times better than a hay field.
- A sodded lawn will absorb greater amounts of rain than a seeded lawn; even after three years of growth.
- For backyard ball games or the Super Bowl, athletes of all sizes prefer the green cushion of turfgrass.
- Turfgrass is the only place for putting, picnics or just plain relaxing.
- Doctors have shown that people recover faster in a hospital when given a landscape view, rather than seeing only the walls of adjoining buildings.
Ready to get new sod installed at your property or just have questions and need a quote? Give Pleasant Green Grass a call at 919-357-8245 today. We will provide you a free quote and make scheduling your sod installation easy.